Change of Blog Interest

Click here to read Steven's "Great Lovers Make A Great Marriage" blog.

Monday, December 31, 2012

Growing with the Word

"1Blessed is the one ...
2... whose delight is in the law of the Lord,
    and who meditates on his law day and night.
That person is like a tree planted by streams of water,
    which yields its fruit in season
and whose leaf does not wither—
    whatever they do prospers."
Ps 1:1-3

Rev Mantofa from Indonesia visited our church two months ago to helm a series of revival meetings. His main theme was "intimacy with God". He testified that only when one is intimate with God, then can he do the works of God, including healing and miracles.

He shared that he gained intimacy with God through two crucial activities, namely:

1.   Reading the Word of God daily, and
2.   Praying in the spirit constantly.

He spends time daily to read 10 chapters of the bible each day and an equal amount of time praying in the spirit.

I was challenged. 

I wanted that kind of intimacy with God and I desired to read my bible more intimately, beyond my normal quiet time. I aimed to read 10 chapters a day.

Beginning on 1st December, I started to read Songs of Solomon. I finished all 8 chapters in a day and craved for more. The excitement of God's word began to grow and my desire to read more overcame the distraction when I first began. I dove into Ecclesiastes and finished in 3 days. 

Before I began reading the third book, a little fatigue set in. The Devil tried to distract and keep me away from reading more. My eyes became droopy when I read the Word. But God honored my desire and the Holy Spirit helped me to over come those distractions.

I covered Ezra, Nehemiah, Esther, Jeremiah and Lamentations. Before I realized, I read 7 books in a month.

The wonderful thing is that the more I read, the more I want to read. The more I read, I more I know about Abba Father. Hallelujah!

No wonder Rev Mantofa keeps reading the Word day in and day out.

As I write this last blog for 2012, I would like to encourage you to resolve to read His Word daily. As you bring this desire to Him, the Holy Spirit will help you to overcome every distraction that the Devil puts before you to stop you from reading the bible.

We can only build up our faith in and intimacy with Him if we know Him. And we can know Him by reading about Him in the bible. 

Let your intimacy with God begin. Dive deep in the Word and grow for His kingdom's sake.

Have a blessed year ahead ... 

"Now all has been heard;
    here is the conclusion of the matter:
Fear God and keep his commandments,
    for this is the duty of all mankind."
Ecclesiastes 12:13

Before you can keep His commandments, you must first know them. I am looking forward to read all the other books.

God bless.

Steven

No comments:

Post a Comment