Change of Blog Interest

Click here to read Steven's "Great Lovers Make A Great Marriage" blog.

Monday, September 03, 2012

Peace in Adversity

Psalm 23:5

You prepare a table before me
    in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
    my cup overflows.

Do you ever wonder what this verse actually means and how it relates to a shepherd and his sheep? It seems to be out of place in this psalm. What was David thinking when he penned those words.

Shepherds generally do not eat at the table. They are out in the pasture with their sheep. Having a table represented feasting, not just eating. David was referring to the pleasure of a proper feast, such as those he had in his palace. 

Can one enjoy a proper meal, a feast, in the presence of his enemies?

Any one who can feast in the presence of adversity or enemy is surely blessed. Only one who has peace that surpass all human understanding can eat so comfortably.

David was able to do so because his trust was in his Shepherd. It was such a deep trust that he know that his life was safe in His hands, and so he can feast in their presence.

I experienced a little of what David experienced.

My family shifted house just last week. We are shifting house the second time in our last 30 years. House moving is a life-changing event that is among the top 10 stressors in life. We had to plan months ahead, execute it during the day of actual shifting and will be spending weeks or even months to settle down in the new environment. 

For us the, the added stressor was moving into a house that has not quite been completed; this means that we have to deal with the workers who are still doing the finishing touches.

To add to the  problem, on the second night in our new house and tired from the days of packing and unpacking, I reversed my wife's car out of the garage and crashed it into a stationary truck. The back window was completely smashed. The repair costs more than $1000!

Are my wife and I stressed? Absolutely.

But by the grace of God, I am so glad and even am amazed that the both of us are able to handle the stress very well; this is unusual. Despite all that has happened, we did not get angry, lose our heads, raise our voices nor quarrel. There were many instances and circumstances that we would have done so, normally.

I am amazed that instead, my wife and I spoke words of assurance to each other, encourage one another and keep each other's spirit going. She did not even get angry at me for smashing her car! Hallelujah!

And on the part of anointing his head with oil, David was referring to what shepherds usually do; they rub oil on the sheep's head to keep the flies from irritating them (flies like to lay their eggs on the furry head of the sheep but the sheep gets completely irritated by the buzzing of these flies).

In the same way, my Good Shepherd keeps the irritations of the world from me when He anoints me with the oil of the Holy Spirit. We can choose to reject or neglect this, but it will be to our own chagrin. If we welcome the Holy Spirit's anointing, our cup will surely overflows with the wine from heaven and we can enjoy our feast.

Indeed, the Lord is my Shepherd, He gives me such peace that I can even have a feast, complete with good wine, in the presence of adversities because He continually anoints me with the oil of the Holy Spirit.

Try it!

God bless.

Steven 

No comments:

Post a Comment