Change of Blog Interest

Click here to read Steven's "Great Lovers Make A Great Marriage" blog.

Monday, April 30, 2012

Drifting away?

We must pay the most careful attention, therefore, to what we have heard, so that we do not drift away. For since the message spoken through angels was binding, and every violation and disobedience received its just punishment, how shall we escape if we ignore so great a salvation?   Hebrews 2:1-3a (NIV)

While seeking for God's directions on what to say in this post, the warning in Hebrews appeared twice to me this week. Fundamentally, I believe that when God shows me His words more than once, it is a strong message.

And what is stronger than a warning against drifting away from His truth?

The question that I mediated upon was what have I heard that God warns me not to drift away from? 

My learning is, it is the Gospel of salvation, given through the sacrifice of His Son, Jesus Christ. This is the heart of our Abba Father; that all men may be reconciled to Him and the only way is by accepting Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior.

The author of Hebrews calls us to "pay the most careful attention to the truth that we have heard so that we would not drift away". It was written to warn the second generation Hebrew believers against returning to Judaism. It is written to us to warn us of believing in false teachings and becoming religious.

And why and how could I, who already believed and accepted the Lord, drift away?

Firstly, I am conscious that paying attention is hard work. It requires deliberate effort pay attention. In today's context, the world offers so many distractions and so many diverse/false teachings. 

I consider the Internet as the new Tower of Babel - in it is knowledge infinite. The easy reference to the vast amount of knowledge is extremely dangerous. No matter how much collective wisdom are in it, this repository vies to be the greatest distraction for God's children.

Distractus, the Latin root word for distract simply means "to draw apart". The dictionary describes it as "to draw away the attention of a person from something."

So, if the pursuit of knowledge draws the our attention from God's truth, I will drift away!

I ask the Holy Spirit to help me heed Abba Father's warning; to help me to keep focus upon His truth by spending time reading and understanding His word. I ask for help to redeem my time so that I can grow deep in Him. I ask that He will also help other believers to do the same.

God bless.

Steven

No comments:

Post a Comment