Change of Blog Interest

Click here to read Steven's "Great Lovers Make A Great Marriage" blog.

Monday, July 23, 2012

Learning from shepherds

I have read and read out Psalm 23, perhaps, a thousand times. It is a frequent psalm to recite for a variety of occasions; when assurance is needed, to overcome fear, when one is down and struggling in life, at funerals etc.

I must confess that I seldom read it from a sheep's perspective.

I am reflecting the words of Psalm 23 again (with Swelyn Hughes' Everyday With Jesus daily study guide, but this time, as a sheep trying understand a shepherd's perspective. What does it really mean to say, "The Lord is my Shepherd?"

The implication of each verse suddenly becomes different. I begin to understand the heart of my good Shepherd so much more. Let me share my reflections on the first 3 verses this week.

Ps 23:1-3 (NIV) 

"The LORD is my shepherd, I lack nothing.
He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
he refreshes my soul."

Sheep are timid animals that are completely dependent upon the shepherd. They must always be led to good pastures and clean waters because on their own, sheep are unable to tend to their own basic needs. They are totally helpless against predators and need the shepherd to protect them from all dangers.

When did David (the answer will also tell us why did he) write this psalm? Some commentators thought it was when he was being pursued by his own son, Absalom, others say that it was while he was in exile from King Saul, and still others say that it was when he was a lad shepherding Jesse's flock.

While there is no sure record as to when or under which of those circumstances David penned this psalm, we can be certain that he was in one of the most difficult moments of his life.

David was a shepherd for many years before he was anointed to become king. He had fought with a lion and/or bear to protect his flock from being attacked (1 Sam 17:34-35). David had a good shepherd's heart, one which made him willing to stand between the lion and his flock.

With this picture in mind, I begin to understand why David uttered, "The Lord is my Shepherd, I lack nothing."

He knew that the Lord is a good Shepherd who would risk His life to save him from his enemies who were out to kill him. He was on the run, living in caves and had no means to take care of his life, let alone his daily needs. But knowing that a good shepherd would protect his sheep absolutely, he knew deeply that he lacked nothing. His utterance was a declaration of the good Shepherd's absolute sacrificial love for him.

When David said, "He makes me lie down in green pastures," he remembered that his sheep, being extremely timid, cannot be made to lie down if they were not free from danger, irritations caused by flies and parasites and  hunger. The shepherd has to find the  pasture where these negative elements are absent. Only then will the sheep lie down on the pasture comfortably and eat as much as they needed to. David was in dire need. He remembered that his good Shepherd would provide for and protect him and hence he could "lie down" amidst the dangers he was facing.

Sheep need water, fresh clean water that is. But sheep are scared of fast-flowing waters and will only drink from a quiet pool. Hence, the good shepherd has to hunt for cisterns or wells in the area. He will then draw the water from these sources to quench the thirst of his flock. As the sheep drink, they are refreshed. David knew exactly what it meant when he wrote, "he leads me beside quiet waters, he refreshes my soul" as he drew upon God's words of assurance.

For me, these 3 verses taught me the following:

1.  With Jesus as my Shepherd, I truly lack nothing for He completely cares for me. I must completely trust in His unfailing love.

2.  Only He can make me lie down to rest as He keeps me away from danger, removes the irritations from the "flies and parasites" and takes care of my needs. I must depend on Him for protection and provision. Completely trust Him because He cares absolutely for me.

3.  As He leads me to the "quiet waters" of His words, I must be determined to "drink" His word constantly for only then can my thirst can be quenched and my soul can be refreshed.

Truly He is my good Shepherd, and yours too.

God bless.

Steven 

No comments:

Post a Comment